Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Head off Neck Revelations

I'm living in a townhouse next door to other seminary students. There are roughly four other dudes that are in their 2nd and 3rd year. Talking to them is great cause it gives me a chance to see what's to come and develop a community that we're lacking here (hi jaycee's! k&b&d, and jason and lindsay!!).

The first conversation was about how challenging this seminary seems as compared to the one i checked in DC. My neighbors agree and one said "I thought i knew a lot about the Bible, but the first Old Testament class I had blew my head off my neck!"

He then told me about how there are two creation stories! A close reading of the first few chapters of the King James Bible reveals not one, but two different -- and contradictory -- stories of creation.

From Wiki:
There are two orders of events given which are contradictory. The earlier version appears in Genesis 1:1 – 2:3 and key items follow this order of creation:

plants;
marine animals, birds;
land animals;
humans (man and woman together) (Genesis 1:20 – 27).
The second account begins with Genesis 2:4 wherein key items of creation appear in this order:

man (not woman);
plants;
land animals and birds (marine animals are omitted but omission is not a contradiction and the order of birds and beasts is not stated as being on separate days unlike chapter 1);
and, when no "help meet for him" is found, woman (Genesis 2:7, 9, 18 – 22).[9]


Now I really can't see the point in Creationism! I look forward to more quirks like this! I live for this type of mind-bending,"head-off-neck revelations".

I hope to have many more HONRs as my Old Testament Class begins. (i'll pronounce those as "hon-ers").

p.s. I forgot to mention that i'll be posting every Tuesday! so check back every tuesday for new posts!

1 comment:

Nick Kiger said...

Hello,

I just stumbled upon your blog. Look closely at both stories. In one of them you will find a God that makes mistakes in creation. Happy hunting;)