Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Intro Re-Write

I do not know what exactly I believe but I can say that it starts with and is inspired by the life of Jesus Christ. My personal theology, as all theologies, has been shaped by contexts, experiences, and relationships which make up my very identity. As these are all constantly in flux, so is my theology. It is not a static, fixed system but more contextual, adaptable, and fluid. It centers on loving God and my neighbor as myself.


My theology is shaped by my interests, interpretations, gifts and limitations. It is based on a particular style, much like a painting, which is my community, the United Church of Christ. I use my theology, like art, to convey meaning to others. There are many styles in which to paint in the Christian tradition and I am a mix of many. I was raised Catholic. I react against Fundamentalist theologies. I want to be a Liberal Christian as I came to be a Protestant and was trained in seminary in this tradition but find myself more and more thinking and speaking in Neo-Orthodox terms. It has elements of all these streams put together in a new way. My theological style is more interested in imagination, beauty, and mystery; focusing more on questions than answers.

In this paper I hope to explain the areas of my theology. I will start by describing my understanding of the historical Christian Church. I will then describe my view of my denomination and how I intersect with it. I will then describe my faith journey and sense of call. It won’t be in a linear fashion but more integrated as each plays into the other. I will try to separate them as best I am able. I will first speak of my interpretation of the Historical Christian Church.

3 comments:

Ian said...

Its definitely getting tauter.

Are you going to blog through the whole paper?

Luke said...

Thanks Ian! and yes, i'm blog'n the whole thing.

Unknown said...

"My theological style is more interested in imagination, beauty, and mystery; focusing more on questions than answers."

I'm wondering if you are actually focused more on questions or perhaps on living with/in the questions. The distinction is a fine one, but makes a lot of difference.

In the first, turning up more questions becomes an ends in and of itself. For a pastor, modeling for others a lifestyle that embraces the questions and lives in the tension of not knowing all the answers is quite useful.

I suspect you actually are closer to the latter...